Foreign Affairs
Australian youth dies after being bitten by jellyfish

An Australian youth has died after being bitten by a jellyfish known as a box jellyfish.

The youth was swimming in a bay in Queensland. A box jellyfish, known by this name because of its shape, is considered one of the most poisonous marine species.

The 17-year-old ended up on a life-support machine in a hospital. A week later the hospital decided to turn off the system keeping the youth alive.

A sting from this jellyfish can result in paralysis, cardiac arrest or death.

The youth was administered first aid and transferred to hospital. No further details were forthcoming from the Police.