The chapel in Birkirkara dedicated to St Anthony of Padova and St Catherine has had its exterior restored by workers from the Restoration Department within the Ministry for Justice and Culture.
The chapel had been built in 1828, but historical documents show that before this chapel was built, another chapel was in existence, bult in 1575.
Architect Daphne Fenech stated that vehicle pollution and humidity were the two worst problems which caused damage. The architect explained that the work was carried out in various phases, as layers of paint had to be cleaned from the facade, and some crumbling stonework changed.
Minister Owen Bonnici stated that this was another project carried out under the restoraton scheme implemented by the Restoration Directorate and Local Councils. Dr Bonnici added that through this scheme the Local Councils themselves, rather than Government, decide on restoration projects in their localities.