Current Affairs
€106,000 in compensation to family of man who was run over at Naxxar and died

A Court has awarded €106,000 in damages to a family following a traffic accident at Naxxar that lead to the death of  Karl Fenech. 34-year old Fenech died four days after he was run over by a car  and thrown to a distance of seven metres, while crossing a road in December 2013.

Judge Lawrence Mintoff considered medical reports which showed that Fenech had suffered grievous injuries, including in his head and chest, and also fractures leading to a fatal haemorrhage in his brain.

The car’s driver, Dulcinea Micallef, said in Court that the accident affected her in such a way that she stopped driving. The Court said that although she was not driving with excessive speed, she failed to notice that the victim had already crossed three quarters of the road. While accepting the defence arguments, the Court concluded that the driver was responsible for the accident and ordered her to pay €106,000 to Fenech’s family.

Lawyers Chris Cilia and Timothy Bartolo appeared ‘parte civile’ for the family, while Dr Christine Calleja and Matthew Cutajar were defence lawyers.

Other News
Current Affairs

Government announced it nominated three candidates for the European Court of Human Rights, as Judge Vincent A. De Gaetano’s term will end by the end of next September. In a…

Current Affairs

The Malta International Airport announced a profit of €30.3 million for 2018. MIA increased its profits by more than €6 million over 2017. The company running the airport stated that…

Current Affairs

Mario Gafa’, the head of the Foundation for Tomorrow’s Schools (FTS) submitted his resignation from the post. He resigned on the 15th February. The resignation was announced in a ministerial…

Current Affairs

A third man has been arraigned in Court in connection with the fight between seven persons at Żabbar on Sunday. 46-year old Stephen Vella from Vittoriosa was charged with the…

View More