An elderly woman has sustained injuries in a fire in her apartment residence in Ġuże Galea Street, Qormi. The fire reportedly started shortly after 12 noon, with residents in the street saying they heard an explosion from the first floor of the apartment block in which the woman resides.
On-site witnesses told TVM the fire probably started in a washing machine, and spread close to a gas cylinder. Three fire engines from the Civil Protection Department converged on the site and controlled the flames, and an ambulance transferred the woman to hospital. The Police are continuing with their investigations.