A four-year-old boy died yesterday, probably after having developed the bacteria which causes meningitis.
The boy died at Mater Dei hospital after he apparently showed symptoms which led to his parents taking him to hospital in recent days.
TVM is informed that the boy was admitted to hospital after developing invasive pneumonia (a type of bacteria which causes meningitis), which spreads within days or hours and can be fatal.
It results that the health authorities immediately took action as soon as they became aware of the case, and even contacted the boy’s school and spoke with parents of children in the same class as the boy, advising them to contact their doctor at once if they notice any symptoms.
The authorities told TVM, however, that it is very rare for meningitis to be transmitted from one person to another, and there is no cause for alarm.