According to a new study, even just one single piece of plastic in the sea can result in the death of a turtle.
Research has found there is a one in five chance that a turtle will die as a result of one piece of plastic.
The team of researchers found that the younger turtles are at greater risk of dying because of plastic.
The authors of the study reckon that half of all turtles have swallowed a piece of plastic, and 90% of these are young turtles.
The authors state that if a piece of plastic goes down the wrong way, even just a small piece, it can block breathing and lead to the turtle’s death.