Malta registers four separations a day

About 2,500 people get married each year, 55% choose to get married during a civil ceremony, while the other 45% get married in church. This is a significant change when compared to previous years, but the increase in civil marriage can be attributed to same-sex marriages. On the other hand, 1,300 separations are registered every year, an average of approximately 4 separations per day, 375 of which also end in divorce.

‘Popolin’ spoke to Matthew Bartolo, a sexologist who claimed that the numbers indicated show that whoever chooses to marry and manages to stay married, is indicative of the commitment to the union. He also spoke about the importance of teaching our children how to be part of a relationship;

“To what extent are we raising our children to not only invest in their careers, but also to invest time at home and appreciate it? We are raising g an extremely individualistic society. ” Bartolo also spoke about the fact that many couples today are choosing to have separate bank accounts. In his opinion this is creating various problems because when wages are different, the couple live a different lifestyle.

Nicholas Baldacchino, from the Cana movement, said that every relationship in our lives was complex and required an element of sacrifice. Asked by the presenter if he agreed with the argument that a person was not created to be monogamous, Baldacchino explained that he meets many couples who have been together for over fifty years and were an example of what love means. For this reason he does not believe that a person is incapable of being monogamous. “Experience shows that it is possible”.

Asked why several people choose to have another partner outside of their official relationship, the sexologist explained that although many people think the main reason is sex, sex is actually low on the list of reasons why a person looks for others. He added that there is usually something missing in the relationship or in that person’s partner, so he chooses to look for that missing ingredient in someone else.