UPDATED ON VIDEO: Mother and two children rescued from burning residence – parrot and cats also rescued
A mother and her two youth offsprings were rescued and given treatment for smoke inhalation after fire swept through their residence last night.
Information obtained by TVM indicates the fire broke out shortly after 7.30 pm in an apartment in Triq Olaf Gollcher, at Ta’ Paris in Birkirkara. Preliminary investigations indicate the fire started from a microwave oven and then spread throughout the kitchen.
Four fire engines rushed to the apartment and firemen brought the blaze under control after two hours as the fire had spread throughout the apartment.
The mother and her two sons were immediately rescued and administered First Aid by Dr Jonathan Joslin and a medical team from Mater Dei Hospital. Due to the amount of smoke they had inhaled they were conveyed to hospital for further observation.
Shortly after, officials from the Civil Protection Department were seen emerging with a caged parrot that was rescued.
Three cats in the apartment were also rescued.
District police are investigating.