No one was injured in a fire which developed in an apartment block in Msida. The incident occurred in Tal-Qroqq Road at about 2.00 pm. It results from information obtained on site that the fire was caused by an explosion in a refrigerator in an apartment in which a couple reside.
They were evacuated by firefighters from the Civil Protection Department (CPD) and were administered First Aid by a medical team from Mater Dei Hospital.
According to the Police the apartment residents were a 21-year-old man from Kuwait and a 20-year-old woman from Fontana in Gozo.
During the rescue operation a youth who lived in the penthouse above the apartment was evacuated. He made his way out of the fourth storey balcony and mounted a tower crane provided by the Civil Protection Department.
Police were soon on the spot shortly after the fire broke out as well as a medical team from Mater Dei and CPD firefighters.
Roads in the vicinity were closed for a period of time.