Despite being rescued four months ago, baby orphan Mariam lost its life due to an infection caused by plastic material the mammal swallowed.
Mariam, a sea mammiferous of the dugong species, was found swimming alone in a Thailand bay. Photos and footage of the mammal hugged by animal rescue worker had touched many hearts.
Despite that everything seemed fine for the mammal, last week Mariam became ill, did not eat and died on Saturday evening. An autopsy revealed that her stomach was filled with plastic, including a 20 centimetre piece.
Dugong is a species at risk of extinction and there are only a few hundreds still present in Thailand waters.