Refuse in bays has increased because of take-away items

Even before people start flocking to the sea bays, employees from the Maintenance and Cleansing Division would have been present to clear refuse that may have been left there the night before and in these days also carrying disinfection work. Up to October this cleansing takes place daily and in certain bays may be carried out twice and even three times daily.

The Division’s Director, Ramon Deguara, said that since the end of last year todate, over 535 tons of refuse have been collected from all the bays. In addition about 2,840 tons of dead seaweed (alka) has been collected.

He said refuse bins have to be emptied, refuse removed from the sand and the cleansing is not only carried out in sandy bays but in all bays around the island and there are about 52 in all.

Deguara noted that this year there has been an increase in the volume of refuse that is collected by 120 Division employees responsible for the cleansing of bays. He said entities carry out deliveries of take-away and this has drastically increased the volume of refuse because of take-away containers and related items.

He said that if this tendency persists the Division will have to consider that next year it will increase the number of refuse bins, He explained that because of the pandemic, bays are being disinfected.

Disinfection of refuse containers in sandy bays and all bays is being carried out and in bays where there are hand rails, ladders and such equipment items. These are all sanitised between two and three times daily.

The Division is also responsible for about 300 ladders that have been affixed in different areas to enable better sea access. Cleansing crews also collect dead fish and items of refuse that have been washed up by the sea.

Other News
Current Affairs

WasteServ said that the collection of glass for recycling is administered by two private schemes, which are responsible to collect segregated glass. The company stated it notified these schemes that…

Current Affairs

Prime Minister Robert Abela has called a meeting of the Malta Council for Economic and Social Development, scheduled for next Thursday, to discuss Malta’s position in the wake of the…

Current Affairs

The Health Authorities confirmed 16 new Covid-19 cases in Malta after 1,502 swab tests were carried out in the past 24 hours. Active cases of coronavirus in Malta have now…

Minister for Foreign Affairs Evarist Bartolo said that the Government’s work had led to the prevention of 3,000 irregular immigrants coming to Malta since March. In a statement on social…

View More