Referendum on Scottish independence a question of ‘when not if’

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has told British Prime Minister Boris Johnson that another independence referendum was a matter of “when not if”.

She said this this after, in the last election, pro-independence parties obtained a majority in the Scottish Parliament while the Conservative Party led by Johnson remained in Opposition.

Sturgeon said this result would give her the mandate to continue with the plan for another referendum after the pandemic, however the British Government is insisting that this issue was closed in the 2014 referendum.

At that time 55% voted in favor of remaining part of the UK while 45% voted to leave it. The United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.