Bar owners may receive financial support up to almost €3,500 in a one-off payment
The financial support to bar owners is to increase by €0.5 million to bring the total to €2.7 million that will be disbursed by the Government to cover their period of closure between November of last year and March of this year.
This will be a one-off payment to bars and clubs in a scheme that will open this coming Monday with applications expected to be processed within two weeks.
Band clubs and bars have two weeks in which to apply for a lifeline that has been caused by the pandemic.
While addressing the Annual General Meeting of the Għaqda Każini tal-Baned, the Minister for Tourism, Clayton Bartolo, said financial support has been extended to cover the period to end March, as these have now been ordered to remain closed up to that period. He said the verification programme will be a speedy one.
The payment scheme is spread in three phases to cover the period from November last year to the end of March.
The first scheme is designed for commercial bars that may benefit up to €3,587 – an increase of €717 on the previous offer. Scheme B applies to bars in clubs that may benefit up to €2,325. Organisations that have clubs, barring political clubs, will benefit by up to €1,575.
Applicants have to Monday, 15th March on the Malta Tourism Authority electronic site to apply. It is estimated these measures will benefit 90 band clubs and 140 sport clubs.