Current Affairs
Towards better appreciation of Kalkara’s historical and cultural heritage

A Heritage Trail has been inaugurated in Kalkara with the aim of promoting the locality’s historical and cultural heritage in an innovative manner, making it more attractive for both Maltese and tourists. This project has been carried out through European funds for voluntary organisations.

Tourists and Maltese can benefit from the Heritage Trail through 15 stands placed at important sites in Kalkara, carrying information in both Maltese and English texts, as well as in QR code which leads users to additional photos and information online.

Project coordinator Etienne Camilleri said Wirt il-Kalkara aimed at placing the locality on the map as a tourist destination, adding that 80% of the project has been financed through European funds, with the other 20% coming from funds for voluntary organisations.

The electronic site www.visitkalkara was also launched, through which besides downloading the same map, one can also access information about the history of Kalkara and other information to help users interact and integrate with the community and local outlets.

During the inauguration, the Parliamentary Secretary responsible for European Funds Stefan Zrinzo Azzopardi stated that through funds from the EU LEADER programme, this project will promote the historic and cultural heritage of this locality innovatively and in an attractive manner, both for youths and for tourists.

Parliamentary Secretary for Voluntary Organisations Clifton Grima stated that through the Fund for Co-financing of Voluntary Organisations, more voluntary organisations are being presented with more opportunities to access European funds and are being guided towards various programmes for European financing, based on the various projects.