Current Affairs
UPDATED: Two men plead not guilty to carrying out a series of hold-ups

30-year-old Kersten Camilleri and 53-year-old Simon Camilleri have been arraigned in Court and charged with thefts from deliverymen. Both accused pleaded not guilty to the charges. Defence lawyers did not request bail, and accused were remanded in custody.

30-year-old Kersten Camilleri was charged with four hold-ups, possession of a stolen car and attempted theft of another vehicle.  He was also charged with attempted thefts, between 9 and 14 April, from deliverymen in Ħaż-Żabbar, Senglea, San Ġwann and Cospicua.

Camilleri was also charged with, among others,  having held a person with an intention to rob him, carrying a knife with the relevant Police permit, theft and damage to a vehicle, attempted theft of another vehicle, breaching conditions imposed by a previous sentence on 10 August, and becoming a relapser.

Camilleri stated in Court that he lives in Valletta and is unemployed, and pleaded not guilty.

53-year-old Simon Camilleri was charged with three hold-ups on deliverymen in Ħaż-Żabbar, Senglea and San Ġwann. Camilleri was also charged with having failed to abide by bail conditions, and with becoming a relapser.

Camilleri stated in court that he hails from Cospicua and is registering for work. Likewise, he also pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Earlier:

Two men from Cospicua, one aged 30 and the other aged 53, are expected to be arraigned in Court and accused of four hold-ups, of being in possession of a stolen car and of the attempted theft of another vehicle.

In a statement, the Police said that they will be arraigned in Court by the Anti-Violent Crimes squad within the Criminal Investigations Department and by Police from the Cospicua police station.

The 30-year-old man was arrested shortly after the alleged hold-up on the employee of an establishment which is providing takeaways. In a statement, the Police said that the man is also being investigated for three similar hold-ups which were carried out over the last few days in San Gwann, Zabbar and Senglea.

Earlier yesterday, the Police also arrested a 53-year-old man from Cospicua, who was allegedly implicated in three hold-ups.

The Police managed to solve these series of hold-ups after on Tuesday evening an employee who was delivering food to Triq San Pawl in Cospicua filed a Police report that he had been robbed.

The Police followed the description given by the victim and went to the residence of the alleged thief. The Police said that he was trying to escape from the window but he was immediately arrested.

The second alleged thief who was implicated in the same hold-ups was arrested on Wednesday afternoon following further Police investigations.