UPDATED: Police categorically deny that man suspected of offering to buy children has been found

The Police have categorically denied that the man suspected of having offered to buy children last Saturday from two mothers, has been identified.

A spokesman for the police told  tvm.com.mt that it was not true that the man, about whom two separate reports had been filed by the two women, had been found.

A report in an English language newspaper today said that sources from the Police Corps “had identified the suspect” and that they were investigating the case.

Anya Soldatova, the mother of a two-year-old girl, told  tvm.com.mt that the experience she went through on Saturday at around 9.30pm in Sliema, had shocked her. She said that the man had offered her €30,000 for her daughter.

A few hours after the incident took place, Anya wrote a post on a Facebook dedicated to foreigners living in Malta. Members of the page encouraged her to file a police report and so she also posted her ordeal on the Malta Police Force’s FB page. Shortly afterwards she was contacted to go to the Police Depot in order to provide more information about this case.

On Tuesday morning, another woman, Annmarie Marceau Coppola, mother of a seven-year-old girl, said she had gone through the same experience on the same day, at the same place.

Contacted by TVM, the police confirmed that there was an investigation underway.